Coronado Global Resources has announced a major multilevel expression of support for the Bluefield State University (BSU) Mining Engineering Technology program. Through the agreement, commencing in 2024, Coronado Global Resources will:
- Provide up to $50,000 each year for direct scholarships to students in BSU’s Mining ET program;
- Establish internship opportunities for qualifying students in the BSU Mining ET program;
- Provide additional support for curriculum development;
- Provide employees to serve as adjunct faculty in the Mining ET program and deliver industry-specific instruction to BSU students in the program; and
- Appoint employees to serve on the BSU Mining ET Program Advisory Board;
“As a graduate of the Mining Engineering Technology Program at BSU, I am excited that Coronado Global Resources and Buchanan Minerals are partnering with BSU to restore the Mining ET program,” said Keith Sigmon, general manager, Buchanan Minerals. “This will ensure we meet the increasing global demand for metallurgical coal. Buchanan Minerals has operated successfully for more than 40 years, and a large reason for that success is the passion and preparedness of BSU graduates.”
President Robin Capehart expressed her gratitude for the generous support and guidance from Coronado Global Resources and Buchanan Minerals for BSU’s Mining Engineering Technology Program. “Our shared goal is to produce BSU engineering technology graduates for productive, rewarding careers in the mining industry,” she said.