Taking home one of the top awards for reclamation was CONSOL Energy’s Turkey Gap refuse impoundment, which received the Greenlands Award. Coal-Mac’s New Ridge East surface mine snagged the National Wild Turkey Federation Award. Elk Run Coal Co.’s Republic Energy operation in Raleigh County took home the top safety award for surface mine operations, the Bart B. Lay Milestones in Safety Award. CONSOL Energy’s McElroy mine in Marshall County claimed the top honor for underground mining operations in the state, the Eustace E. Frederick Award. Other companies that received awards include:
MOUNTAINEER GUARDIAN AWARDS
Region 1 – Underground Operations
- Dana Mining Co., LLC’s Arco No. 1 mine in Marion County
- Carter Roag Coal Co.’s Pleasant Hill mine in Randolph County
- CONSOL Energy’s Loveridge mine in Marion County
Region 1 – Preparation Plants
- McElroy Coal Co.’s Ireland loadout in Marshall County
- Carter Roag Coal Co.’s Star Bridge prep plant
- Wolf Run Mining Co., Inc.’s Sentinel prep plant in Barbour County
Region 2 – Underground Operations
- Brooks Run Mining Co.’s Cucumber mine in McDowell County
- Cliffs Logan County Coal’s Lower War Eagle mine in Wyoming County
- RS Mining’s Caretta No. 3 mine in McDowell County
- Resurrection Coal Co.’s No. 2 mine in McDowell County
Region 2 – Surface Operations
- Extra Energy’s Red Hawk surface mine in McDowell County
Region 2 – Preparation Plant
- Litwar Processing Co. LLC’s Litwar Processing in McDowell County
Region 3 – Underground Operations
- Mingo Logan Coal Co.’s Mountaineer II mine in Logan County
- Coal River Mining’s Fork Creek No. 1 in Boone County
- Rockhouse Creek Development’s No. 8 mine in Mingo County
- CK Coal Corp.’s No. 5 mine in Mingo County
Region 3 – Surface Operations
- Phoenix Coal-Mac Mining, Inc.’s Holden No. 22 surface mine in Mingo County
- Highland Mining Co.’s Reylas surface mine in Logan County
- Coal River Mining’s No. 6 mine in Boone County
- White Flame Energy’s Superior surface mine in Logan County
- CONSOL Energy’s Peg Fork surface mine in Mingo County
Region 3 – Preparation Plants
- Eastern Associated Coal Corp.’s Rock Lick siding in Boone County
- Apogee Coal Co.’s Fanco plant/loadout in Logan County
- Mingo Logan Coal Co.’s Cardinal prep plant in Logan County
- Phoenix Coal-Mac Mining’s No. 22 prep plant in Logan County
Region 4 – Underground Operations
- White Buck Coal Co.’s Grassy Creek No. 1 in Nicholas County
- Mammoth Coal Co.’s Slabcamp in Kanawha County
- Pocahontas Coal Co.’s Josephine No. 3 mine in Raleigh County
- White Buck Coal Co.’s Hominy Creek mine in Nicholas County
- Brooks Run Mining Co.’s Saylor B mine in Braxton County
Region 4 – Surface Operations
- Simmons Fork Mining’s Ewing Fork No. 1 mine in Raleigh County
- Pocahontas Coal Co.’s Tommy Creek Mine South in Raleigh County
- Revelation Energy’s S7 surface mine in Fayette County
Region 4 – Preparation Plant
- Coal Clean LLC’s West Branch prep plant
- Surface Mine South: Alex Energy Inc. for exemplary performance in reclamation on the Whitman surface mine.
- Coal Refuse South: Pocahontas Coal Co. for exemplary performance in reclamation on the East Gulf complex.
- Deep Mine South: CONSOL Energy for exemplary performance of reclamation at the Itmann No. 3 mine.
- Refuse North: Wolf Run Mining Co. for exemplary performance in reclamation on Reed Hollow Refuse.
- Surface Mine North: Ten-A Coal Co. for exemplary performance in reclamation of the Koon surface mine.
- Haul Road Construction South: Met Resources, LLC for exemplary performance in haul road construction of the McComas haul road.
- Surface Mine South: Met Resources, LLC for exemplary performance of reclamation on the McComas No. 1 surface mine.
- Refuse Reclamation North: Kanawha Energy Co. for exemplary reclamation of a prelaw refuse in the Jackson Hollow Refuse.
- Coal Refuse/Coal Impoundment: Mingo Logan Coal Co. for exemplary techniques and innovative design of the Mountain Laurel complex’s treatment system.
- Surface Mine South: Apogee Coal Co. for exemplary construction techniques at the Guyan surface mine.