“Tonight, we are here to recognize the best-of-the-best. To honor those among us whose commitment to their own safety — and to those around them — has resulted in a level of performance achieved by only 20 mining operations across the country,” said NMA President and CEO Hal Quinn.
In addition, the U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health awarded Mine Safety and Health Technology Innovations Awards to three NMA member companies, Hecla Mining Company, Alpha Natural Resources and Matrix Design Group.
The awards were presented at a dinner sponsored by Atlas Copco, Draeger, Freeport-McMoRan and Nelson Brothers.
Large company award winners were:
• Coal Processing Facility: Kentucky River Loading, ACI/ICG Hazard LLC, Arch Coal Inc.
• Surface Coal: Buckskin mine, Kiewit Mining Group Inc.
• Underground Coal: SUFCO mine, Canyon Fuel Co., Bowie Resource Partners LLC. Small company award winners were:
• Coal Processing Facility: Chesterfield Prep Plant, Omar Mining Co., Alpha Natural Resources.
• Surface Coal: Logan Hollow No. 1, Alden Resources LLC.
• Underground Coal: Roaring Fork No. 4, Dickenson-Russell Coal Co. LLC, Alpha Natural Resources.